• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am
DCabDesign

My Intro

Here's a thread to introduce yourself. Give your name, a short introduction, and anything else you'd like to add. Who's your favorite LOK or TR Character? Do you have an interest in drawing or writing about the series (provide links).

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

My Intro

Postby Lexy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi, I'm Lexy, I'm a freelance artist in the UK (I have a few different artist monikers, since I dabble in a few quite different styles and subjects).

I like art, especially the art of the great masters, and Lowbrow/Pop surrealism (which is kind of what I'm doing myself these days), and sculpting with polymer. I've been a freelance artist for six years, working on stuff like book illustrations, bits of art for indie Facebook games or boardgames, concepts and webgraphics for people. Jack of All Trades, master of None. I 'quit' doing that as my main job when I started to get into sculpting and began getting commissions instead. I was sculpting lifelike creatures and monsters which is totally my thing, because the little models of dinosaurs and the stuffed animals were always my favourite part of a trip to the museum as a kid. Here's a couple of examples I made as early attempts of that... Fenrir, Okami, way back when devising how to create furred maquettes 8)

At the moment I still make these sort of sculpts, but I'm now playing around with the theme of angels/demons and Lowbrow a lot. ;)

I love videogames, reading/creating manga, anime, music of all kinds (a lot of electronic/industrial alt rock and game OSTs lately), piano (I kinda inherited one and I used to play, gotta get back into that). I love blades, and collect swords and knives - all kinds, from katana to knapped stone. Also have an affinity for sci-fi, mythical monsters and mythology, Japanese Ukiyo-e prints and the process, funky and classical architecture, classical poetry and Shakespeare, and I'm crazy for knights/armour. Don't let me near a suit of armour or I'll try to put it on.

I don't watch TV, I'm too busy to even if I could - but to relax I'll read, watch a movie or play a game with a beer or a gin and tonic. Or I'll just start drawing or sculpting again. Atm I'm reading Eiji Yoshikawa's awesome Musashi for R&R. One of these days I'll take up surfing - I live almost right on top of a surf beach, in the middle of nowhere.

Well, that's me. I loved the Soul Reaver series since the beginning, & prone to fits of making fan art about it... I never got a chance to buy Blood Omen or BO2 back in the day, but I'm looking out for copies on eBay. I think acquiring 'old' games this way is a new hobby, too.
Lexy

Re: My Intro

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 am

Lexy!

Wow what wonderful sculptures! I didn't know you were so multidimensional! Do you sculpt in fimo, super sculpey or the like? I love how you do the fur (and <3 for Fenris and Okami!)
I love swords too. I'm in the middle of redoing my place and thinking of a way to display my swords Highlander style. (I'm also steampunking it up a little)

Thanks for being such a great fan. /highfive!

Daniel
Daniel Cabuco

Postby Lexy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you Daniel! :oops: 8-)

I do use those clays! But I use air-dry foam clay for a furry one (to keep the weight down) so it weighs almost nothing as a sculpture, and only use the polymer for the detailed parts like the feet or the head. Like this kitsune I just finished is 90% air dry foam:

For the non furry stuff I use Super Sculpey, Cernit or SS Firm, if it's going to be painted, yea. Like this little dude, is a solid sculpt in SS III clay: Image

Finding space for quite a few swords is a pain, isn't it? Maybe some kind of cabinet like Top Dollar's in The Crow would be neat. Make visitors less nervous :P But then, you buy swords, you wanna see 'em, right?

...Then again, having them up on the wall or put away neat makes it less likely friends will come over and try to play sword cricket with potatoes. (It did happen, my housemate and his pal did it while I was out once... ergh).

Oh btw! I'm trying not to neglect the 2D work as well, to keep up the practice at composition and colours (I do need to keep at it) though the sculpting takes up so many hours it's not funny. The drawing does, too, though. Art in general just takes so long... hope someday I'll be practiced enough to become properly efficient at it.

A steampunk theme place, huh? Sounds great - I would totally love to theme my den, if I had a bit more space. It's full of my art 'supplies' and bits, though. Piled in every corner/available space. I kinda like it that way though... total mess to everyone else's eyes, probably... but to me it's all just stuff to get excited about.
Lexy

Postby Raina Audron » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow, I love those sculptures! I am fan of Okami too, man, you should make more of those! :D very impressive and I saw your art on Eidos forums, you are very talented :)
"My faith in destiny is all I need to prevail" (Raziel, Soul Reaver).
http://theancientsden.blogspot.com/
Raina Audron

Postby majinkura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 am

I second what Raina has said - you are a true talent :)

that ookami is luffs <3
majinkura

Postby Lexy » Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey all,

I've been on hiatus for a while O_O

Some major life issues/devs sprang up etc. I'm back, even though I've changed username in most other places around the web. Might have caused some confusions for some but I felt it necessary.

Good to see this forum still receiving visitors interested in LoK. 8-)
Lexy

Return to Introductions and Hellos