• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:26 am
DCabDesign

Early Kain Concepts

Where I will post unearthed scans and drawings

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

Early Kain Concepts

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am

Fresh from a 'lost' sketchbook, I give you some of the early Kain sketches. I was trying to convey Kain as the villain, and how his arrogance might have manifested on him over a millennia of evolution. Some basic words I was given as guidance: Ancient, Arrogant, Powerful.
I wasn't sure yet how the costume or look of Kain would be yet, but I did know in my first stab that I wanted him to manifest a crown in some way (some more subtle, some more overt).
Enjoy! (click on the image to see full size with no scroll bars)

Daniel
Attachments
Kain_early_small.jpg
Kain_early_small.jpg (269.79 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Daniel Cabuco

Re: Early Kain Concepts

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am

Head and crown studies.
Attachments
Kain_god_small.jpg
Kain_god_small.jpg (222.6 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Daniel Cabuco

Postby majinkura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

WOW!!! I love all these kain designs!

i think the crown either way you'd have done it,still gives him that certain character appeal.(at least in my opinion anyway)

I also love with elder kain that he's not too bulky in body mass,like an appropriate level of fitness.
majinkura

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 am

This was the shot that had Amy saying 'That's Kain!' I had been sketching versions of him for a while and was thrilled that we finally homed in on what would be his final version. (Also, I didn't know what Vorador's ring looked like, so the initial sketch was just my idea for having the ring on his ear)
Attachments
Early_Kain_Raz_small.jpg
Early Kain
Early_Kain_Raz_small.jpg (359.67 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Daniel Cabuco

Postby The Hylden » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Yup, there he is, alright :) Especially the one from the side looks just about like the concept art diagram version in the final game, or his actual head in the FMV.

Thanks for posting these.

The Gamepro magazine cover with Kain's render used a similar earring. I've said it for years that we don't have enough of Kain's actual renders from the SR1-2 era. Not that we're entitled to them, just meaning how he was promoted back then. Raziel's promotion art rather overshadowed Kain more often, than not.
The Hylden

Postby Raina Audron » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 am

Oh wow, I love these! I really like how you gave him a crown, that´s a genius idea :) that really gave him a unique look. It is so difficult for me to draw his face correctly, though :D
"My faith in destiny is all I need to prevail" (Raziel, Soul Reaver).
http://theancientsden.blogspot.com/
Raina Audron

Postby calypso694 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Amazing!! I always thought those his hair line looked like a crown, now it's confirmed. Epic.
calypso694

Return to Unearthed Concepts