• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 am
DCabDesign

Lexy's Stuff

Submit your fan art here. Show me what you enjoy drawing and painting about.

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

Forum rules
Please keep the feedback respectful. Even if you disagree about someone's work, that's their art and expression. Also, if someone has feedback on your work, remember it's to help you get better, so it's a gift, not a means to insult or break you down. Welcome all feedback and consider it to become an even better artist. Lastly, I will not tolerate a flame war.

Re: Lexy's Stuff

Postby Lexy » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 am

Haha, thanks. :)

For the mural, just a case of studying everything from the other murals under a zoom lens to get the style of the others into my brain. And checking over and over that things like line thickness and general colour, face style, hair shading, swords, textures, match up.
Lexy

Postby VirgilMassey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Lexy wrote:Fan art section, yee haaw :D

I had some free time last month so I used the time to keep drawing... I definitely don't draw as often as I should (every day) to be as good as I'd like... but at least when it comes to certain fandoms there's always spark there to keep me going.

I think a few people here have already seen these as they're my latest, but hopefully they're an improvement over my older stuff. I've definitely noticed how quick I'm getting, even if the pictures still sometimes frustrate to make. Back when I made my first Raziel fanart on DA, it took me about five days to finish up. In contrast these ones took probably about 8-12 hours each to do from complete scratch, so I'm guessing I'm using my time, brushes and knowledge way more efficiently than I was last year.

I've linked these to my DA as the files are too large for attachments

http://lexehh.deviantart.com/art/Inquisition-361108526

^ A practice of some of the perspective techniques I learned from other concept artists. It even looks like a FZD piece from a distance... (but made more interesting as a concept IMO by trying to tell a story as well)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/081/7/1/final_raz_by_lexehh-d5yuz07.png

^
led light/fighting prac. It's a greyscale pic, coloured with colour correction tools... probably my fave part of any picture because I do most of that last, so I know the end is in sight then. Not the best way to learn about painting colours, I guess... but knowing you've gone from B&W to some fairly interesting/convincing lighting without much ref is pretty satisfying.

http://lexehh.deviantart.com/art/Tomb-of-the-Sarafan-361524339

Sarafan Tomb. Not to copy the one from the game directly, but I thought the concept of it would make an interesting subject for a picture, and also give me an excuse to try Google Sketch Up. I've used draughting programs in a job before and I hate them - really hate learning how to use them; Sketch Up is far easier to grasp than AutoCAD or Vectorworks, but it brought back a rush of "ugh, what am I doing" and feeling that distinctly stupid again. Lolol.

Pretty useful tool for perspectives and room planning as the base for artwork... as a rule I feel wrong relying on programs for perspective, but for an octagonal room full of coffins I don't feel even remotely guilty for using it :P ; but I'll probably be using it when I get on with some manga thing I've been meaning to do, which might take some of the donkey-work out of the background draughting. Or maybe it'll sap all my time away doing that and getting caught up in details... have to see how that flies.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/080/0/d/all_sarafan_murals_sr2_by_lexehh-d5yraxj.png

^ Made a Raziel mural to fit in with the style of the others in SR2 (and confuse a few fans in the process :P )

I had some requests to make one for Malek as well... I may do, I was pointed to some good screenshots of his armour and some shots of his face which would allow me to do it, I'll just need to shake off the stressorama I'm in atm and then maybe I can relax by doing something like this again. It was quite fun to do.

Each time I make a fan art I usually have a particular vision in mind (which it ends up looking nothing like) and also some kind of challenge. I think it does help to USE the fan art to teach yourself new things in the process of making it, and not sit in your comfort zone all the time. It's more difficult but definitely more rewarding to shoot for outside the comfort zone and see what that creates.

(Another reason I like drawing the Sarafan is for similar reasons - few people I have seen on DA do all that much, or seem to wanna explore the possibilities in creating scenes with them in very often, there's a lot of Kain and wraith Raz on there, naturally getting all the glory. That whole idea of nasty vampire-hunting crusaders inspired an idea that developed into a story I'd like to complete someday in comic form - not a fan story, just loosely based on the ideas of vampires and vampire hunters, already done to death probably, but just something I'd like to get out of my system).

i think you are too good with art work.. It is awesome.. I would love to contact you and ask you to work on my personal project..
VirgilMassey

Postby Lexy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:59 pm

Thank you very much. ^^

I may be available for commissions later this year.
Lexy

Postby Lexy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 am

I changed DA account; I know there was some issue before as to whether or not it was really me, it is me though, I'm here: http://bastardprince.deviantart.com/
:D
Changed after someone gifted me with a lot of points there and bought a prem membership with it. Thought I might as well use the one with the premium, so shifted over most of my LoK arts to the new one.

Since I moved it over I've started using ClipStudio paint(5) and it is awesome. Really a joy to draw anything with it, even quick sketches! I totally recommend it to any digi artist even if you're not into drawing comics. :)

Lexy

Previous

Return to Fan Art