• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:52 pm
DCabDesign

The Vampires Of LOK

I'll answer as best I can. I can illuminate the past, my friends.

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

Forum rules
SR or LOK related questions only, please. And please keep it respectful. All are welcome to give opinions and thoughts.

Re: The Vampires Of LOK

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm

This begs the question of what are the differences between both types of vampires besides ways/ablities of "turning" people? Umah in BO2 said that water burns their skin as if both types share at least that weakness. If they do what other simularities and differences do they have? Can those that were raised with necromancy do things better, worse,or able to do different things that are impossible for those raised by blood gift to do even with sorcery or enhanced abilities?
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Also when do vampires become adults in age wise? And how many years are there between evolutions; do they vary? When did Kain, his sons and their clans evolve their cloven hands and feet? Were they separate evolutions or during the same? Did their hands first become like that of BO2 vampires before they became like they were in Soul Reaver and later?
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Are there no answers to my questions?
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Bazielim » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 pm

ok. There are some answers - but most comes from dialogue and the bigger points that you want haven't been fully explained yet.

1)Differences between Vamp generations - besides the turning methods hinted to be different (especially for SR1 vamps), we don't really have much info on this, only that there are considered different (or "a new race")
2)Water weakness is suspected to be a universal trait of vampirism inflicted by the curse and passed onto later generations - mainly because it seems to be suffered by Kain(unique vamp),the turned vamps (Kain comments on Vorador Mansion in swamp in BO1), the BO2 vamps (umah tutorial) and the SR1 vamps (Elder tutorial) - 3 and a half out of the four.
3)Necro Vamps - because the SR1 era vamps are soul-based; created by breathing a soul into the corpse and then using it to steal a soul from the underworld and re-animate said corpse with it's native soul(see SR1 manuals); their souls are 'deeper rooted' than other vamp generations - which explains the alarming SR1 vamp tendency to revive. Essentially the corruption of Kain's soul led to their devolutions and 'abilities'.
4)Age between Fledglings and Adults - unknown - though we know it takes a few centuries for hands to become claws.
5)Evolutions - time periods:unknown - there are a variety of pupation methods observable in SR1 (Melchahim burrowed underground,Zephonim and the Rahabim cocooned themselves)
6)Hand and feet - unknown but if we take Kaion from BO1 through BO2 then it's taken over 400 years and still fingers - but they will be claws by SR1 intro (~1,100yrs later)
7) separate evolutions? - it's implied that they undergo many evolutions over their lifetimes - with each producing "a new gift" (singular) - perhaps one major change per pupation?
8)hand evolution - probably - given Kain's hand changes it would seem the SR1 vamps are further along the trail, as it were.

As I say though, these are dialogue and gameplay points - they are not exactly hidden in secrecy and are widely available.:)
Bazielim

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:15 am

I know these things already. I just want to see if Daniel knows more about the answers to them and go more indepth with them than the vague details that we know from the games. Thanks though!
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Daniel, here are pictures of Hermaeus Mora the Daedra Lord from Skyrim that I had told you some time ago that looks similar to The Elder in at least its various eyes.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:DB-load-Apocrypha_is_the_realm_of_Hermaeus_Mora.jpghttp://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/File:Herma-Mora.png
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Azura,

Wow cool! I like those designs. Seems similar to the Elder stonework designs. I enjoyed actually putting the spiral carvings into the world as evidence on the Material plane of the Elder in the Spectral.

Sorry, I got really busy and didn't get a chance to answer your questions regarding the Vampire Evolution. Bazl is pretty much on the money about any official answers. What I can tell you is what guided my visual designs for them.
When I first got the assignment to design Kain (and holy shit, holy shit was I excited. I was relatively to new to Crystal at the time and they gave me *that* assignment!)
I had to look at Blood Omen and reconcile some very different designs. (WTH was Vorador?!) So the thought that vampires 'evolve' was a great way to tie them together. Eventually their fingers meld together after a long time (this isn't spelled out, and as far as I'm concerned, doesn't really need to be).
I set it up so that Kain was able to influence his own evolution through sheer arrogant willpower and the evolution of his abilities.
The Bretheren all evolved at different rates, depending on their physiology, willpower, and abilities. That's why it was a competition among them, and a way to gain favor with Kain. Their devolution didn't happen until a milennia later and that was also based on their practices (Melchiah) and abilities (Rahab).
Hope that sheds more light on your questions. :)
Daniel Cabuco

Postby Azura Soul Reaver » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

Yes, that does answer my questions thanks! I keep thinking that Hermaeus Mora is the Elder's cousin or something as in ES IV Oblivion Hermaeus Mora has you collect souls of each of the different main races in soul gems for his/its (sounds like a he like the Elder but talks slower and more aquatic sounding) quest and in Skyrim he has you gather the blood of each of the elven races in another quest.
Azura Soul Reaver

Postby Craftmused Audron » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Daniel Cabuco wrote:
I can do a tutorial on clan design if you wish. I am so humbled when I see tattoos of the clan symbols, it makes me happy that I/we put so much time into making them.

Nobody seemed to take you up on this, but I DO wish you did this =) Or maybe even come up with a fictional clan, and have US design a symbol under your guidance? ;)

I was thinking lately I might just get a tattoo of the shift realm symbol, that concept of shifting perception is probably the ONE thing from LoK that will stay with my for all my life
Craftmused Audron

Postby Memento Mori » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:28 pm

I've always wondered if "newborn" vampires always forget their entire human life, or if it depends on how long they have been dead.
"Fall like a leaf in the wind
on the ocean of blue
like your eyes in the twilight theater,
with symphonies playing in a world without sound,
we're given and denied"
-Given and Denied by Poets Of The Fall
Memento Mori

PreviousNext

Return to Ask Daniel Cabuco a Legacy of Kain related Question