• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:25 am
DCabDesign

Question about Raziel's Design

I'll answer as best I can. I can illuminate the past, my friends.

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

Forum rules
SR or LOK related questions only, please. And please keep it respectful. All are welcome to give opinions and thoughts.

Question about Raziel's Design

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:04 am

I received an email about Raziel's design from Haley Jo and am posting it here for anyone else who might be curious about his spines.

"Dear Mr. Cabuco,

Hello, I am a fan of the Legacy of Kain series and the art you used for the characters has both inspired and helped me in improving my own art. But one thing I have always been extremely curious about is Raziel’s character design after he becomes a wraith. I’m also extremely interested in anatomy, and I’ve noticed Raziel seems to always be depicted with two spinal columns. I’m wondering why he has two spinal columns. What was the rationale behind giving him two spines? I’ve been trying to puzzle this out off and on for years, but come up with nil, so I decided to just ask. Get it from the source, so to speak. Thank you very much for your time and for putting your character designs out there for other artists to learn from.

Sincerely,

Haley Jo"

My Reply:

Hi Haley,

Thanks for the email. :) That's a great question. We wanted to make Raziel a pretty unique character, and the dual spine helped show that he was evolving (or devolving) when he grew his wings. Remember that all of Kain's gifts were tainted, and if Vampire Raziel was left alone, he would have devolved into a bat or dragon like creature, similar to his bretheren. The dual spine was the very beginning of that, and was part of his central anatomy as a winged Vampire. I think I would have designed him as a dual winged, dual spined vampire.When he got turned into a wraith, it simply revealed his spine since his flesh was burned away.
I am glad that my artwork has helped inspire you and your artwork. :)
Daniel Cabuco

Re: Question about Raziel's Design

Postby majinkura » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 am

i too have another raziel ?

what exactly is on the back of raziels cowl??
I have a hard time making out what it is supposed to be?
:cry:
majinkura

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am

Ok this is a long story.

Before we did any cinematics, Raziel was already designed and running. What was supposed to happen was, Raziel falls into the Abyss, and his body melts and his clothing is all messed up. He was supposed to awaken, and in a series of quick shots, try to put on what clothing he had remaining. (wrapping his arms, carefully adding the cowl, assembling what was left of the boot guard)
The last shot was supposed to be him taking the leather shoulder guard and spreading it across the back of the cowl to hold it in place. (you can see it in the original concept turnaround for Raziel) Alas, the cinematic was very expensive to produce, and in the interest of time and money, he just dropped into the Elder God's chamber with the cowl magically falling on his shoulder, so all he had to do was throw it over his shoulder.
I preserved the design in SR2, because I thought it looked cooler.. and realized that it didn't really make all that much sense given that no one else had seen it put on properly. So we got rid of it in Defiance.
Daniel Cabuco

Postby majinkura » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 pm

oh man that would have been an awesome scene to see!!
its ashamed it got cut out..
:(
majinkura

Return to Ask Daniel Cabuco a Legacy of Kain related Question