• This forum is for the discussion of portfolios, getting into the game industry, and Projects Daniel Cabuco has or is working on.
  • It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 am
DCabDesign

Umah´s and Vorador´s role in Defiance

I'll answer as best I can. I can illuminate the past, my friends.

Moderator: Daniel Cabuco

Forum rules
SR or LOK related questions only, please. And please keep it respectful. All are welcome to give opinions and thoughts.

Umah´s and Vorador´s role in Defiance

Postby Raina Audron » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Hey there :)
This is regarding Umah and Vorador´s appearance in Defiance.

What was Umah´s intended role in Defiance and where would she appear? Would she encounter Raziel or Kain?
Also, this concept which you drew of her:
http://thelostworlds.net/Defiance/Images/Umah-01-Concept-DC-Umah-01.JPG
Have you drawn her as a human or a vampire in that picture? Jake and I are wondering, because the colour of her eyes and her skin seems unnatural to a regular human and she seems to be wearing Voradors symbol. So we are thinking she is either a vampire worshipper or a vampire. Thanks a lot!

Did Vorador originally appear more times than in the final game? Was his resurrection (as he is in BO2) planned to be explained? If so, can you tell us who would resurrect him after his beheading by Moebius´ mob?
"My faith in destiny is all I need to prevail" (Raziel, Soul Reaver).
http://theancientsden.blogspot.com/
Raina Audron

Re: Umah´s and Vorador´s role in Defiance

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Raina!

Umah was intended to be a vampire worshipper/consort to Vorador. As you correctly guessed, she was to play a similar role to the Vampire Priestess originally envisioned in Soul Reaver. Dangit, we could never get one in the game! LOL She was always meant to be 'special' and quite a powerful sorceress, hence the eyes. But the concept you have is meant for a human Umah, with lavender eyes. (she has too much of a tan to be a vampire)
She wears Vorador's symbol because she's meant to be part of his clan, soon to be transformed into a vampire. I think when Raziel visits Vorador after he is beheaded, your job is to go to the statute holding his head, retrieve it, and bring it to his body. Much the same as the way Janos was resurrected, Raz would help raise Vorador. Umah was the mission giver and as a reward would be turned into a vampire.
We had to do a lot of reconciliation with BO2... and had to cut it for time. (also, the fact that Raz would rez both Vorador AND Janos seemed.. redundant)

Hope that answers your question!

Daniel
Daniel Cabuco

Postby majinkura » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am

that's very interesting,as we all thought it was kain's doing...well at least I did.
majinkura

Postby Jake Pawloski » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Wow! Thanks so much Daniel! It's good to have this question answered more officially.

In the case of the Lost Chronicle video by me and Raina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYsYGbTBV8M
we had the scene with Umah retrieving Vor's body from execution ground, and returning it to a crypt at Vorador's Mansion.

This made it into the video. We coincidentally made that scenario for the resurrection of Vorador with Raziel encountering Umah at the mansion,
but were afraid it was no longer accurate. I'm sure you know about the accident in adding Moebius to the mansion. He says 'I have an execution to see to'
regardless of the players already having encountered Mortanius saying 'come to me my undead son'
As the only alternative to what ended up in the final story, we went with making the young Kain retrieve the head a century and a half later (shortly after Raziel had seen the head hung like a trophy in the stronghold in SR2). Kain confessed in Blood Omen 2 "You created a new race, something I could never do, and from that race, I had my army" and later said "Do you so wish to return to the grave, old friend?" which co-exist with the idea that he himself resurrected Vor.

My question is, do you feel that it works out in the end for the BO2 Kain to resurrect Vorador? Since Defiance cut Umah and included Moebius instead. Could this have been the case as sort of a plan-B of writing? Thanks.

Your answers are completely fulfilling to all the fans, and the fact that you've answered what you have means as much to us as a new Lok game. These baffling and completely inexplicable subjects have left many fans feeling void and abandoned. You are now one of the Avengers. Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Daniel Cabuco.
Last edited by Jake Pawloski on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jake Pawloski

Postby Raina Audron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm

wow, awesome, Daniel, thanks so much, we have been puzzling about that for years and years xD
How would that cutscene with Umah played out? Would Raziel first go on a quest to resurrect Vorador, then he would witness Umah being turned when he gets back and Vorador would teleport away after his resurrection? Or would Vorador be present at Janos´s resurrection? indeed, lots of resurrections taking place lol xD
And also what reason did Raziel have for resurrecting Vorador?
"My faith in destiny is all I need to prevail" (Raziel, Soul Reaver).
http://theancientsden.blogspot.com/
Raina Audron

Postby Dubiel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:27 pm

majinkura wrote:that's very interesting,as we all thought it was kain's doing...well at least I did.

I did too. The idea that it was a deleted chapter for Kain made sense to me because:

- There was pre-release footage in Defiance of Kain fighting Revenants in Vorador's Mansion;
- Kain only thoroughly explores three major areas in Defiance (the Stronghold, Pillars and Citadel) whereas Raziel explores five (the Underworld, Cemetery, Pillars, Mansion and Avernus);
- Kain has scenes with three main characters in Defiance (Moebius, Elder God and Raziel) but Raziel has scenes with nine (Moebius, Elder God, Kain, Vorador, Mortanius, Turel, Ariel, Janos, Hylden Lord);
- Kain has a clear motive for resurrecting Vorador (to ensure that he can collaborate with his younger self against the Sarafan in BO2);
- Raziel already resurrects Janos;
- Kain still had Vorador's signet ring with him, so it could have been worked into the plot there;
- The elder Kain meeting Vorador and Umah and identifying himself to them would provide wider context to their mistrust of the young Kain in BO2, and Vorador's BO2 personality change; they would both know for a fact throughout BO2 that Kain will eventually succeed in dominating Nosgoth, and might have their reasons to try and stop this from happening.

That said, it is very interesting to know who was really supposed to do it (thanks again Daniel)!
If the chapter had been included, I think it would have established Defiance as more of "Raziel's story". Can't be denied that he gets a lot of screen-time :P
Dubiel

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

It's important to remember one thing: Defiance was a part of the SR trilogy with Raziel as the hero. It wasn't about giving equal screen time to Kain.. He already stole a ton of spotlight with his few chapters.
I don't think BO2 Kain would have been good because then Vorador would 'owe Kain one' so to speak.
Kain did have a mission in Vorador's mansion but I think it was to meet living Vorador. We wanted to have Kain be able to summon him afterwards with the ring. Vorador seeing how powerful Kain had become would be distrustful.. And would pass that to his clan (ie Umah)
There was also the idea you could see Umah being turned

:)
Daniel Cabuco

Postby Jake Pawloski » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Keanu Reeves "Woah".
Okay, so the reason I think the young Kain should resurrect him as an alternative even if it causes Vorador to 'owe him one'
still makes sense as he was up against the Sarafan Lord right? Vorador probably returned this favor by building him an army.
So I guess it could have been rewritten to be either the old or the young Kain to end up doing it?

I really like that idea of using the signet ring, very cool guys.
Jake Pawloski

Postby Daniel Cabuco » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Yeah it was actually more of a huge deal to see a Vampire being made, since that wasn't something that was ever shown. Traditional 'embrace' or some bizarre Necromancy?

Raziel had to resurrect Vorador to show that A) he had he power of 'jump starting' bodies with his power and B) needed something important from him to find Janos. It was all really to reconcile BO2. (and there was a lot of.. reconciling.. to do)

That said, elder Kain rezzing him would have been cool too. There'd be a cool smackdown talk there.
Daniel Cabuco

Postby Jake Pawloski » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 pm

True. lol. That would've been interesting to see.
Kain's necromancing type is the shit. I like the differences that set these vampires apart from others.
No sun sparkling occurs in THIS one xD. I love the fact that they can drink blood from afar through streams (although programming that was a bitch even for a fan game, because I had to decide between doing it as a model with moving transparent textures or to make it with only particle movement, in the end I went with a combination of both) I also like how Kain's vampirism is necromantic. No doubt Raziel and his brethren would have been skeletons by the time Kain raised them, so I'm guessing they would heal over and become whole.

That was pretty awesome the way BO2 was so well connected to the truth of Defiance.
Last edited by Jake Pawloski on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Pawloski

Next

Return to Ask Daniel Cabuco a Legacy of Kain related Question